Is finding a business idea holding you back? Your organisation – be it a charity, community group, public or third sector organisation – may feel that they would like to develop a social enterprise or an income-generating enterprise. But whilst you want to give it a go your team are struggling to find an idea that will be of value. Below are my top tips to finding your perfect business idea.
A business idea for a social enterprise will usually fall into one of these categories:
- Solving a problem which?someone or a group of people have personally or in their business that others can’t or won’t help with.
- Making something that you know people need or want but are unable to buy or afford to buy that you can offer more easily?or more cheaply.
- Re-using the resources you already have available to you (materials / skills etc.) that others need.
Still struggling? Then consider these elements:
- What problems does your local community / usual client group have? Can you:
- remove the problem
- improve the problem by offering a service / product
- provide something else which will lessen the issue / problem
- fix the problem
- What things / services do your stakeholders / local community / usual client group buy which you could provide cheaper, better, more conveniently, more ethically, locally etc.?
- What businesses are other organisations similar to you starting up? Can you replicate that in your local area, or use the structure to develop another idea?
- Can you take an idea from the private sector and develop it into a social enterprise?
Still stuck? Try just day dreaming, brainstorming with your team or creative thinking techniques. Or give me a call and we can discuss how I work with organisations to develop new enterprise ideas.